Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I’m getting very busy now, so I’ve to blog in such condense form. Seems that the students here don’t have final year project, but each of their final year subjects has a major project. So now I’m getting a load of assignments, projects, quizzes, which is really stressful. Serves me right for taking 3 final yr subjects here. Also, some projects are done in a group. Hope that I won’t piss off group mate here by being too slack on my part in the non-essential-to-my-major projects.

I still don’t quite understand how students here study. For example, in my software engineering class, I was usually busy scribbling notes and highlighting lecture notes while most other students just sat back (and put their feet up) and listen (or sleep) with nothing in their hands

I miss NTU already. The lecture notes used here “no head no tail” wan; they usually jump straight away into the topic without introducing the topic first. Also, they are much less detailed than NTU’s notes. Seems that the lecturers expect (or want to force) students to read the textbooks. Seems to me that the teaching quality also not really up to NTU standards. I also do not find the notion of using TA’s instead of profs to conduct tutorials appealing. They come into class to ‘discuss’ questions instead to teach, and in the end they themselves also ‘bey hiau’. Many of their lecture theaters are like large classrooms, not cool and comfortable like NTU’s. Well, at least I won’t fall asleep as easily here.

Textbooks here are also very expensive. All engineering textbooks I know of costs more than CND 120. That’s a obscenely high price compared to NTU’s SGD20-40+.

Feeling a bit ‘bey syiok’ now. Last weekend, I went to Wonderland in a trip organized by CSSA. I made a few friends on the bus, and we took the rides and took photos together. Some of the group photos are on their camera. I gave them my msn and also name card, but none of them has added me yet.

Last Tuesday was the first time I met another Malaysian on campus. I overheard her mentioning to another student that she’s from m’sia in the lecture theater in ‘critical thinking’ class. It was a pleasant surprise to see another Malaysian here. We couldn’t talk much after the class since I’m riding a bike while she’s taking the bus, so I left her my name card (with all contacts). And she hasn’t added me in MSN yet. What the heck, diabaikan again. Cheh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home