Monday, November 28, 2005

Went to a casino at Niagara Falls yesterday with the M'sian friends. Its the 1st time I've been in a Casino. Boh huat, last time on the high school trip to Genting, I was still underaged; and after enrolment in NTU, it was like relentless study and ECAs. Fortunately, they have cars, and drive up to nearly 180km/h sometimes, so its a reasonably short trip.

My friends played the 'guess the numbers of 3 dices' game. I didn't gamble though; must see how pros gamble 1st :P. I'm only wiling to lose $10, but each bet requires at least $5; so two consecutive losses in the beginning, and its game over. Not worth it I think. The way people play is rather interesting. They think for a long time and carefully choose a combination of bets. Can't figure out their strategy though. Personally, I would just toss a coin, and place all my chips on either 'small' or 'big'. Not a bad strategy wat, for n consecutive wins, I'll have 2^n gains; but then, the chances of doing so are like 1/(2^n) ..

An interesting observation of the big/small combo is that if you place equal amount of bets on both 'big' and 'small', you won't ever win, but there's only a (2/(6^3)) or 1/108 chance or losing. That's a smart move by casino operators; the odds are always against the players, but its small enough that the players would win enough to come back for more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Spock said...

Bish bish.. haha, this is the only template where the content of the blog is not limited to 1/3 the page width.

Haha.. U haven't played the game b4 then.. difficult to explain here..

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home